Wednesday 25 May 2022

Author in the picture: D.W. Whitlock

One of the first books I ever reviewed via Booktasters was Crucible of Fear,
written by D.W. Whitlock. I was very honoured to read and review another
wonderful book from the author: Cult of Darkness . That's why I was keen
to invite this excellent writer for the author in the picture blog post. So here
are the questions.

Can you tell us a bit more about D.W. Whitlock?

 I've worked a lot of jobs over the years from lake dock worker to electrician
to animation for television and games. I've met so many amazing people
from all walks of life and those experiences have been invaluable for
shaping characters and stories. 






Could you tell us something more about the Cult of Darkness?

 I've always been fascinated by ancient cultures, specifically the Maya,
and I've always wanted to tell a story that captures their rich history with
as much respect as possible. One of the themes of Cult of Darkness is
cultural appropriation versus cultural appreciation, and I have characters
in the story on opposing sides of this theme. The most important thing for
me was no aliens. The Maya culture is rich with history and incredible stories
and trying to explain their advanced stone masonry skills and writing
system by extra terrestrial intervention is insulting, I believe. They were
bloody yet brilliant. That should be enough!



 What are your other interests other than writing?

I'm a lifetime gamer and being able to play video games now with my son
is a true joy. One of my other passions is riding my Triumph Scrambler
motorcycle. For me, I've discovered the best therapy can be found on two wheels. 


What are you most afraid of?

Wouldn't you like to know! (It's tarantulas. I hate them!)


Do you have favorite book characters?

I do. My favorite book of all time is Swan Song by Robert McCammon and
I love all the characters in this book. Sister, Josh Hutchins, Swan,
Alvin Mangrim, Colonel Jimbo Macklin, Roland Croninger and the many
others in this incredible book. I love them all.


How do you choose your topics?

I retain a lot of useless information and facts about my interests: Film,
books, science, emerging technology, video games, interesting people, etc.
My mind tends to wander and mull over these subjects. That is usually
when my ideas come. This usually happens before I sleep or while I'm
not able to write ideas down. In the shower, taking a walk, driving. 

Do you have a special daily (writing) routine?

Usually just fire up the laptop and go over my outline to remind me where
I'm at in the story. My dog, Nikki, loves to snuggle up when I write so that helps :)

Can you recommend some places close to your hometown or country
for (thriller) authors?

Nothing particular comes to mind, but I do use Google Earth to virtually
visit locations that I research for my books. 

Have you any other writing plans?

Someday I'd like to branch out and possibly write horror novels, as well
as another action thriller series.

What is your wish for 2022 and for the near future?

I'd love to sell as many copies of Cult of Darkness and Crucible of Fear of
course and reach as many readers as I can. A book isn't truly complete until
it is read and enjoyed by someone. Or hated. As long as I invoke an emotional
response, I'm happy. 

Where do you find D.W. Whitlock on Social Media?

website: https://www.dwwhitlock.com/
Twitter: @ddubwhitlock
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/D-W-Whitlock/e/B08T1T6LNH?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1653321138&sr=8-1


Thank you very much for this 'interview' and I really hope all your wishes 
come true. Keep up the good writing work! 



No comments:

Post a Comment